"since our extraordinary conversation, I have thought of nothing else..."

"What is it my dear?"

Ah, how can we bear it?"

Bear what?"

This. For so short a time. How can we sleep this time away?"

We can be quiet together, and pretend - since it is only the beginning - that we have all the time in the world."

And every day we shall have less. And then none."

Would you rather, therefore, have had nothing at all?"

No. This is where I have always been coming to. Since my time began. And when I go away from here, this will be the mid-point, to which everything ran, before, and from which everything will run. But now, my love, we are here, we are now, and those other times are running elsewhere."

-- From "Possession" by A. S. Byatt.

So, I finally got around to reading "Possession", a book that doesn't need yet another person (me) to point out how superb it is, so I won't ramble on needlessly.

I had heard of the book, heard of the writer, been several times that I should read it, heard of the movie, but it was the above excerpt, used as an epigraph in "The Time Traveller's Wife" (a book I also liked very much) that finally sparked off a real urge to read the book. And still it took me another SIX years to get down to it. But I already want to read it again.

Out of a scientific curiosity. I watched the movie adaptation, and minus the fact that Aaron Eckhart is so not the paper version of Roland Mitchell (but still very cute and a good actor anyway), it was actually quite decent, if not exactly mind-blowing.

In a neat confluence of elements, just as I mulled over Michael Kors for Celine today (having seen this post on Pret à Porter P), he is the very man behind Gwyneth Paltrow's very covetable (in a practical chic film star academician sort of way) wardrobe in the film. Including this great coat -



So my train of thought leading to this post ran like this: "The Time Traveller's Wife" = "Possession" = "Possession" (the movie) = Gwyneth Paltrow's Michael Kors coat + Pret a Porter P = Micheal Kors is really more than just Project Runway.

I need to organise my thoughts better eh?

Picture from contactmusic.com via google search

Comments

Ammu said…
What a wonderfully enthusiastic post - I never had any interest in reading A.S. Byatt or watching the film, and now I want to do both. Hopefully before six years go by.

One of my colleagues has a gorgeous Michael Kors for Celine coat, so elegant and functional. Trouble is, Celine is just so expensive. Way out of my budget.
yanqin said…
Ammu: I can't every imagine Céline being in my budget ever. I shall settle for looking and being inspired.

As for the book and film, no rush to do both. The nice part of books and films is that they are always available (mostly). Unlike clothes.

-h: I know, I found it all very serendipitous. The Internet does that.

Hope to see more Kors@Céline posts!

Popular Posts